Unfortunately, self-isolation has given us a very long list of things that we can’t do as well as tons of extra time and nothing to do with it. So what can you do while stuck in quarantine?
- Keep in touch with your friends. Just because you’re apart doesn’t mean that your relationships have to suffer. Take the time to text or even call a friend. It will make you feel more connected to the people that you care about and will distract you from the not so ideal situation that you may be in.
- Stay fit. Although gyms are closed and spring sports have been canceled, there are still plenty of fun and effective ways to work out and stay in shape. Companies like Peloton, Gold’s Gym, and 24 Hour Fitness are all offering free fitness classes on their respective apps during this time. YouTube is also a great place to look for all different types of workouts.
- Spend some time in the kitchen. Try out a new dessert or hone your skills and practice cooking one of your favorite foods. If your grocery store is sold out of a basic pantry staple like bread, try making it from scratch using yeast and an easy recipe from butterwithasideofbread.com. https://butterwithasideofbread.com/homemade-bread/#wprm-recipe-container-16326
- Get outside. Get some fresh air and exercise by taking a walk around your neighborhood with your family or pet. Spend some time taking in all the sights and sounds that nature has to offer. Just be sure to adhere to all of your local social distancing guidelines and stay safe!
- Pick up a new hobby. Make your time in quarantine productive, and try something that you have never done before. If there is an activity or skill that you have always wanted to learn, take advantage of the extra time that you have to yourself: learn how to play an instrument, try painting or drawing, practice yoga and meditation.
- Binge watch some Netflix! If other activities are not your forte, a long Netflix binge is always an option. Some trending series to catch up on are Tiger King, All American, Atypical, Stranger Things, Cheers, and so many more. There are also hundreds of movies to watch with your family to keep yourself entertained while your activities are limited.
- Spend time with your family or the people with whom you are quarantined. Have a family game night and play video or board games; spend an evening enjoying a movie with classic snacks like popcorn and candy; sponsor a themed dress-up dinner hangout. Spending quality time with the people you are living with help to keep you connected while you are away from your friends.
In such an uncertain time focusing on the positives in your life and doing the things that you can is important. Not only will you be entertained, but trying new things and staying busy will allow you to feel that you have more control over your life.